Senior Angel volunteers
Senior Angels is SCI’s flexible volunteer program, providing a variety of ways to make a difference in an older adult’s life. Each month, Senior Angels receive a monthly calendar that lists projects and opportunities to volunteer. Angels sign up for what interests them and meets their schedule.
The administrative office is open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5pm. Volunteer opportunities are available throughout the week and day.
Senior Angels is for
Anyone who wants to volunteer their time and talent. Many opportunities are available for families. For school-aged children, Senior Angels can be a great way to fulfill community service requirements. Projects can be a fantastic corporate team building experience as well.
Due to the vulnerable nature of our clients, we cannot accept volunteers who are fulfilling court-ordered community service.
Why choose SCI for volunteering?
- Flexible volunteer opportunities
- Wide variety of activities
- One-time or ongoing volunteer opportunities
- Group activities can be arranged (a great team-building activity)
- Summer Angels - a summer program for middle school kids led by a trained coordinator
- Weekend and evening volunteer opportunities available
- Professional, full-time volunteer director
- Volunteer opportunities for home-bound clients also available
- Honey Do program – a team of volunteers who perform minor home repairs for older adults
- Helping a population that is sometimes overlooked
Contact the Director of Volunteers, Lily McCormick, for more information.
Angels receive a calendar listing volunteer opportunities for the month. They can sign up for volunteer activities that interest them and fit their schedule. Some volunteer opportunities require an orientation before participation.
Official list of programs:
- Meals on Wheels: Deliver lunchtime meals to homebound seniors throughout Savannah and outlying counties. All training is included and we match you to a route that’s convenient for you. Minimum commitment: one hour per week.
- Sterling Rides: Drive seniors who can no longer drive themselves to doctor’s appointments, the grocery store, errands, etc. Hours are flexible; you choose the rides you want to provide, including possible evening and weekend trips. A small gas stipend is provided.
- Adult daytime care centers and neighborhood centers: Join or lead activities such as arts & crafts, bingo, puzzles, music, etc. with seniors who attend the centers. Adult daytime care centers are located in midtown Savannah and Hinesville. Neighborhood centers are located in Thunderbolt, Port Wentworth, and Hinesville.
- Mailings/office assistance: Help with mailings, filing, or occasional receptionist duties at the front desk. Mailings of activity calendars, menus, and newsletters are done twice a month.
- Honey Do: Help seniors with minor repairs or maintenance around the home and yard. Some projects are done as a group.
- Pet food delivery: Pick up pet food donations and sort, bag, label, and/or deliver pet food to seniors who need help feeding their beloved companions.
- Kitchen: Help prepare meals for delivery in our Meals on Wheels kitchen on weekday mornings. Minimum commitment of once a week for one month. Training is included. Must be eighteen years or older.
- Friendly Caller: Call homebound seniors 2-3 times a week to make sure they’re doing well. Training is included and the schedule is flexible. Calls can be made at our office or from home.
- Seasonal care packages: Decorate and fill gift boxes or baskets with small personal and household items. This is a great group holiday project and can be done at your convenience.
- Summer Angels: Rising 6th – 9th graders spend two three-day sessions helping seniors at our daytime care centers and neighborhood centers, delivering Meals on Wheels, and doing basic yardwork. $100 per participant; lunch provided.
- Special projects: Help with projects such as blanket or fan drives, painting, and cardmaking. Or suggest your own project that puts your time and talent to use for seniors.
Senior Angels volunteers (912) 236-0363 x143
Director of Volunteers
Hometown: St. Simons, Georgia
Education: Armstrong State University
I feel like the luckiest person in the world because I get to help two people at once with my job! I love helping volunteers feel fulfilled through helping our aging population get services they need. Senior Citizens Inc. is an organization close to my heart.
I want to volunteer, but I am not sure what I’d like to do or how to get started.
Anyone interested in volunteering can stop by our office, call, or email email@example.com to learn about all the volunteer opportunities SCI has to offer. Let us help you find something that you will love to do.
My work team wants to do something for the community by volunteering. Any suggestions?
We have several volunteer opportunities for teams. There is Meals on Wheels, where teams can go out to deliver meals to seniors in the community. We also have a pet food delivery program. Teams can deliver pet food to seniors who have pets but need help to feeding them. This program is flexible and several routes can be delivered by teams on the weekends as well as through the week. We can also arrange for special projects such as doing home repairs or lawn maintenance for seniors.
I’ve heard about congregations or businesses “adopting a route." What does that mean?
When a route is “adopted” that means that a congregation or business has taken on the responsibility and made a commitment to deliver food to seniors on an assigned route on a weekly basis. Most of the adopted routes appoint a coordinator who creates a schedule for the congregation/business members to deliver a particular route each week.
Can volunteer hours count towards my school’s requirements for community service?
Yes. The hours that a person volunteers with us can be used towards school community service requirements.
What’s the Summer Angels program and how do I get my child involved?
The Summer Angel program is a two-week Monday through Friday program that matches middle-grade students in Savannah with activities that help seniors at various levels of need and in a variety of living situations. Two sessions are held each summer. Call to register your child for this great summer experience of giving back and making new friends. For inquiries about participating in the Summer Angels program, please contact our Director of Volunteers.