Aging Life Care
A certified Aging Life Care Specialist assists an older adult or family/caregiver by assessing the needs and current situation of the older adult, providing guidance in meeting those needs, as well as planning for the future. The assistance can range from a home safety assessment to actively coordinating the care needed for an older adult.
Services are available by appointment as needed
(912) 236-0363 x113
Aging Life Care is for
Anyone over the age of 55 (or younger, if disabled), can be served by an Aging Life Care Specialist (ALCS). Often a family will hire an ALCS to provide guidance and/or assistance for an older adult. Aging Life Care is a great option for family who lives in another city to ensure that their loved one has all of the assistance and oversight they need.
Why choose SCI for Aging Life Care?
- Certified Aging Life Care Specialist and licensed Clinical Social Worker
- More than 20 years of experience in providing Aging Life Care services
- Best value in the area
- Your personal advocate
- Services can range from an assessment of needs to coordination of care
- Clients/families can receive a written assessment of current needs and a roadmap for making decisions for meeting care needs
- Our Aging Life Care Specialists are specially trained in meeting the needs of older adults
- Services offered in Georgia and South Carolina
- Priority access to all of the services offered by SCI
- Some grants are available to help older adults with low incomes
As with many of the services of SCI, some grants for this service are available for older adults who meet specific requirements. To learn more about grant-funded services, click HERE or call (912) 236-0363 or toll free (866) 579-2116.
After accepting the client, the Aging Life Care Specialist will map out a course of action. Each situation is different and could include meetings with the older adult, family, physicians, providers of service…whatever is needed to best assess the situation and take appropriate actions to meet needs. The adult/family decides which actions they wish to take and can opt to have the ALCS handle the details.
Activities can include:
- Transportation to doctor appointments as well as attending and coordinating medical appointments and prescriptions
- Home safety assessment
- Medication oversight and coordination
- Reporting to family about actions needed and taken
- Crisis intervention
- Identifying and facilitating a move to a more appropriate living environment
- Identifying and coordinating resources for adults with dementia
- Family mediation
- Guidance on advanced directives and other planning documents
- Serve as a legal guardian
Director, Aging Life Care
Hometown: Savannah, Georgia
Education: University of Georgia
I am proud and honored to be a member of the experienced SCI team helping our local population successfully age in place for over 55 years. SCI is unique in that they offer a comprehensive and cutting-edge approach to holistic aging resources under one roof. The SCI team goes above and beyond the general expectations to meet and exceed the needs of a diverse aging population and their families.
SCI requires a $100 pre-payment for services to begin. No payment is required at this time.
This program has grant opportunities. For more information, call (912) 236-0363 or (866) 579-2116 and ask to speak with a Care Advisor.
What makes the SCI Aging Life Care program unique and specialized?
Our Aging Life Care Specialist is a certified care manager and a member of the Aging Life Care Association. She is a licensed clinical social worker with over 20 years experience with eldercare issues in diverse health care settings. Our ALCS provides a comprehensive assessment of the “whole” person: emotional, physical, functional, memory, social, environmental, spiritual, and financial care needs.
How will I know if I need an Aging Life Care Specialist?
- Is your aging loved one living alone? Does this concern you?
- Do you live in a different state than your loved one?
- Is the primary caregiver stressed or overwhelmed with the challenges of being a caregiver?
- Has your loved one experienced memory loss, recent falls or multiple hospitalizations?
- Does your loved one need assistance with insurance plans, Medicaid, Social Security, or other programs?
- Do you think your loved one might need personal care, assisted living, or a nursing home?
- Have you noticed that your loved one is unable to coordinate routine services such as doctor’s appointments, medication management, home repairs, housekeeping, or meals?
What do ALC services include?
The Aging Life Care Specialist will make a comprehensive assessment including:
- A personalized care plan for current and future needs
- Health care coordination
- Identification AND coordination of healthcare, community and financial resources
- Home safety evaluation
- Crisis intervention
- Support during life transitions and challenges
- Facilitation of alternative living arrangements/environment as needed
- Caregiver support and respite
- Identification and coordination of resources for memory and dementia related challenges
- Client advocacy
What are the benefits of hiring an Aging Life Care Specialist?
- Peace of mind for the family and caregiver
- Increased caregiver support/respite and decreased caregiver stress
- Enhanced quality of life, dignity, self-worth and holistic well-being
- Specialized and safe “aging in place” options
- Local expertise
- Increased access to community resources
- Fewer missed days at work for the caregiver
- Fewer work interruptions for the caregiver and/or adult child
I truly believe you made the last months of my dad's life so special. He always enjoyed and looked forward to your visits. You were like family to us and still are! You were always a ray of sunshine to my dad. . . I can't thank you enough for your love and support!
I want to call and thank you for everything you guys are doing. I think Barbara is at our house right now setting up the medication dispenser right now. I just can’t thank her enough for going above and beyond what’s in the job description. No telling how complicated that thing is. I really appreciate everything y’all are doing for us and I look forward to connecting soon. Thanks so much.
I didn’t have time to do the legwork and didn’t know who to contact to help my cousin. Lauren was able to get better responses from agencies because she represented an established organization. She saved me a lot of time and kept me from going down dead ends. Lauren took my cousin to the Social Security office and got her disability money. She also talked to doctors on my cousin’s behalf, including her primary care physician and her cardiologist. Lauren compiled medical records from all of the doctors, which was difficult because my cousin didn’t keep any of her records. I would recommend Lauren to others because of her thoughtfulness and thoroughness. She was empathetic but with a high degree of professionalism. She was more than an advocate – she was a friend.
Lauren was very helpful with my brother and with my Parkinson’s. Her advice about Buckingham South was the best advice she could have given me. She came with me to visit Buckingham and another one and asked questions I would never have thought of asking. She’s been my security blanket and a big support. She also evaluated my house. She’s been very concerned that I live alone and could fall, so she got me a chair for my bathtub. And she calls just to check up on me. She’s done that faithfully, at least once a week. Lauren’s got a wonderful personality – she’s a go-getter! She brought me cookies at Christmas. She’s got the personality for the job and she has a caring spirit.
Kudos to you – you were so impressive. Who would ever think I’d find you in a magazine at The Landings? You’ve really got everything together and I’m so glad I found you.
Lauren, I want to thank you for all the wonderful supportive calls to my parents. My mother talks about how helpful you have been. Letting them both know about the help they can receive is huge. Mom will need help after the surgery and Dad will need to know she is taken care of, so he can take care of himself also. I am concerned that he is wearing himself out being such a good husband and if he can relax some through the re-hab and know there will be home health care some after she is home will be a plus all around. You have become an important part of our family support team and we are very happy to have you with us. Thank you again.
I had my husband in a place but his dementia became worse. I needed to put him somewhere else but I just didn’t know where to go. Lauren told me my husband needed assisted living. I didn’t even know what assisted living really was. She had a list of assisted living places that I visited. My favorite was Spanish Oaks but he was put on a waiting list. After a few weeks I went to Lauren again and she made a call to Spanish Oaks and told me to write notes to them every week. The last week of April, he got it. I was just so delighted. Lauren was so calm. You need somebody who lets you rattle on, then says, ‘Here’s what you can do.’ I certainly appreciate what she knew and what she offered to me. I would have just been floundering. She gave me all the information on assisted living and told me about attorneys who would advocate for senior citizens. I am forever grateful to Senior Citizens, Inc. and to Lauren. Especially for Lauren being a helper when you need that kind of help.
Lauren Dutko came into our lives in the middle of a crisis with our 89-year-old father. At the time, our father had surgery and needed followup care. Lauren arranged all the needed services quickly and cost effectively. All the while communicating with our family, and most of all, with our father. Lauren provided us with so many benefits of aging life care services with respect to our father. She communicated efficiently with his health care providers and the family. She gave us insight into elderly health care needs and services. She personally accompanied our father to doctors’ appointments and checked on our father when we were unable to. The most impressive thing about Lauren is that she genuinely cares about her clients. She treated our father with respect and kindness. We are so thankful that Lauren came into our lives and cared for our father, when we were unable to do so.
the L. family