Adult Daytime Care
SCI's Adult Daytime Care program provides a safe and engaging environment for adults 18 or older with cognitive, developmental, or physical impairments. We specialize in serving those with Alzheimer’s Disease and other dementias who require assistance and supervision throughout the day. Our program helps delay or eliminate the need for placement outside of the home, and offers respite to caregivers.
Adult daytime care is also beneficial for people recovering from surgery or with a short-term impairment that requires constant oversight, in addition to those with Down's Syndrome, Parkinson's Disease, Huntington's Disease, or stroke impairments.
The Ruth Byck Center means so much to me and to my Mom. This organization has been a God Send for me and a lifesaver. They do so much for families, and with such love. The care my Mother receives at the center allows me the freedom to do things in my own life that others may take for granted. Shopping, house work, my part-time job, doctors’ appointments, rest and more. For my Mom, they provide activities, meals and snacks, watchful care and even transportation. The staff is kind, compassionate and competent in caring for their clients. I appreciate the Ruth Byck Center and its staff more than I can even say, and I do try to say so often.
- Mattie R.
Hours and locations
Ruth Byck Adult Daytime Care
64 Jasper Street
Monday through Friday, 7am-6pm
(912) 236-0363 x104
Liberty Co. Adult Daytime Care
800 Tupelo Trail
Hinesville, GA 31313
Tuesday through Thursday, 9am-3pm
Extended hours available for an extra charge.
COST: Initial assessment and custom care plans are free of charge. A full day of care is $40 and includes a light snack and healthy lunch. Breakfast is also included at the Savannah location. Half days are also available. Clients may arrive and depart any time during business hours. Attendance schedule is flexible and may be customized to fit the needs of the client and family.
TRANSPORTATION: Round trip transportation is available.
PAYMENT OPTIONS: Daytime care expense may be handled through private pay and certain types of insurance. In addition, as with many of the services of SCI, financial assistance through grants and the Veterans Administration may be available for older adults who meet specific requirements. To learn more about the qualifications and grant-funded services, please call an SCI Care Navigator at (912) 236-0363.
Due to the frail nature of many of our clients, we take special care to protect them from harm. Therefore, the admission process requires a physical as well as an interview with the potential client to ensure that they are suitable for the program prior to their admission.
- Have physician’s approval to participate in a group program
- Be free of infectious or communicable disease
- Have the stamina to attend the program
- Be appropriate for a group setting and not have emotional or behavioral disorders that would make them harmful to themselves or others
Why choose SCI for adult daytime care?
- Two convenient locations in Savannah and Hinesville
- Savannah location operates Monday through Friday from 7am to 6pm, providing caregivers with time necessary for work or other responsibilities
- Flexible attendance schedules; clients can arrive and depart any time during the day, staying for an hour or all day
- Nursing and Certified Nursing Assistant staff on site to assist with activities of daily living such as medication administration, continence care, transferring assistance, and eating
- Personal care (bathing, grooming) available on-site for an additional charge
- Individual care plans designed to cater to the changing cognitive and physical skills of each client
- Full-time activity coordinator who plans and implements an active program including volunteers and community groups
- Active program specializes in promoting overall wellbeing and offers activities to stimulate physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social health
- Safe environment in a secure facility including outdoor garden area
- Affordable, offering the lowest daily rate in Georgia
- Round-trip transportation available at no additional charge
- Fresh-made, USDA-approved lunch and afternoon snack provided daily; breakfast provided at Savannah location
- Personal training and support groups for caregivers available through our affiliates
- Wrap-around care available through other SCI services including Aging Life Care, in-home companion/personal/nursing care, home-delivered meals, Senior Companions, and more
A typical day
The day begins with breakfast and quiet one-on-one activities such as reading the paper together. Activities throughout the day may include:
- Pet therapy
- Music and dancing (led by a music and movement therapist)
- Daily discussion of the news and current events
- Daily exercise
- Games and puzzles
- Field trips (e.g., crabbing, concerts, beach walks)
- Reminiscence/memory stimulation
- Visits from outside groups (e.g., school chorus, barbershop quartet)
- Arts and crafts
- Intergenerational activities
Director, Ruth Byck Adult Daytime Care Center
Hometown: Thomson, Georgia
Education: Georgia Southern University, University of Georgia
My decision to work with SCI was led by the mission of the organization that I have witnessed during my involvement in the senior community in Savannah. In my life I have become focused on the goodness of those who serve with a happy heart and are truly committed to serving others as they would like to be served. SCI is well known for this level of care and I am happy to be a part of it. Always serve with a happy heart!
Liberty county adult daytime care center
Director, Liberty County Mobile Adult Daytime Care
Hometown: Jesup, Georgia
Education: RN, College of Coastal Georgia
SCI has been a blessing to me as I hope I am to the seniors here! I am grateful to be a part of SCI and I believe in the values and purpose that we enbrace. This is the MOST rewarding position that I have ever held and I thank the senior community and SCI for the opportunity!
It’s fantastic! I work part time and Ruth Byck has been wonderful to allow me to go to doctor’s appointments or grocery shopping, and I feel safe that I can run errands and leave him there. B. has been so happy there, it’s obviously going well. I have total trust and peace of mind leaving him. They’re busy there and they’re happy. The staff is wonderful and Katy is unbelievably great. B’s favorite part is just being around those people. He smiles and waves at the caregivers when he arrives and when he leaves. B. can’t really do the activities but his favorite things are the piano playing and seated yoga. If I had all the money in the world, I would not change to another daycare program.
- Lorr E.
Our daughter S., who is developmentally disabled as well as medically fragile, had been in a work activities center for thirty-one years. She was no longer eligible to attend that program when she was put on oxygen therapy. After spending several weeks at home with no structured daily activities we could see that she was becoming very depressed. She was referred to the Ruth Byck Adult Day Care Center, was accepted and started attending in late August. We immediately noticed the change in her. She was excited about her new “job” as she refers to it and eagerly awaits the bus each morning. She participates in all the activities and loves the meals! She is not the depressed, withdrawn person she was before she started. The Byck Center has been an answer to our prayers. The program is stimulating, and the staff is extremely caring and competent. We feel very lucky to have a place like this for S., where we know that she is happy and safe. We look forward to her future there.
- Pat and Tommy W.
I just wanted to take a moment to express our family’s gratitude toward the Ruth Byck Center, and especially our gratitude to the staff. As you know, W. began your program in November of 2011, and we are so ecstatic about her progress. She loves coming every day, she is excited about all the different activities she gets to be a part of, and she never wants to miss a single day. As you know, one of our concerns was the weight she had slowly been gaining due to being so inactive. Well, I am excited to say that since she has been coming to the center, she has lost almost 10 pounds. Your program has been such a blessing to our family, and I could never completely express how much gratitude we have for you and your staff. We hope that she will be able to be a part of your program for many years to come.
- Cheryl S.
Having our mother go to the Ruth Byck Social Center on a regular basis is really a blessing. It not only relieves the monotony of her daily routine, but it allows our sister, her caregiver, an opportunity to regroup. The staff at the Ruth Byck Social Center is so accommodating and attentive. They understand fully how to deal with the elderly and the challenges that Alzheimer’s illness can bring. We are truly grateful for a facility such as this.
- The family of Mary S.
I just wanted to write you a note thanking you. Because of your experience and kindness, you surely took a very stressful situation and made it into a very happy one. . . .Everyone has noticed a big positive change in G. I can’t tell you how impressed I am by the center. How calm everyone usually is and that tone is definitely set by the leader. I know personally that just hearing your voice calms me down. Your experience in the field is invaluable to me. You have made a huge difference to myself, my husband, and my mother-in-law! I really don’t know why there is not an incredibly long waiting list for this program.
- Chris & Arlete B.